Remington-Rand/Colt 1911A1

As a fan of the 1911 for several years now I realize I've come to develop a strong appreciation for what's commonly called the "G.I model."  And, as I've learned in my on-going attempts to build my very own copy of a pistol like one that Grandpappy carried back in the war, I've come to realize two things:

a) most 1911s advertised as G.I./milspec aren't, and

b) that the best time to buy parts for the old warhorse was thirty years ago

In respect to the former I take a pretty narrow view of what I want in a pistol; I want something that, while not wholly original, could pass the ten-foot test as a specimen issued out of an armory in 1941 or thereabout and potentially carried to the far corners of the world.  That means no accessory rail, correct (small) sights, no frame checkering, a proper high ejection port, and no manufacturer's billboard engraved down the slide.

In respect to the latter, this is problematic.  Moreso in some respects than others.  I cannot tell you the hours I spent scouring the internet for an unmolested high-port slide in good shape before I bought a depot replacement.  Perhaps not what I had in mind setting out, but better than the lowered ports that come standard one most commercial GI guns (including the so-called WWII model I bought from Auto Ordnance to use as a base).  The slide stop and wide-spur hammer I picked up from the parts guys when the gun show came to town.  I'm still hunting a correct checkered mainspring housing. 

But on the subject at hand...the as-issued 1911 is a minor work of functional art.  Usually mixed and matched through arsenal rebuilds or field maintenance an original-parts gun is an extreme rarity, much to the chagrin of collectors.  Certainly I'd love to own an all-matching Colt (especially with the U.S. Navy rollmarks) but in the meantime I'm content to respect the contributions of the average pistol as seen here: the mixmaster broken down, reconditioned, cobbled back together, and shipped to the hot spots of the day throughout a hundred-odd years of service. 




No comments:

Post a Comment